Waxing and Brow Shaping
When it comes to the area you want waxed I take a team approach. I consult with you and keep you involved in the process to make sure you are satisfied. I am sensitive to your needs and pain tolerance and work to make it a pleasant experience.
I use warm hard or soft wax to remove the hair at the root. This leaves behind very smooth skin and you don’t need to shave for some time. My favorite thing to get waxed are the under arms because you can be hair free for such a long time and there is no stubble. The other area to wax that I’m a big fan of is nostrils. It is easy and makes sure you don’t have any little hairs protruding from your nose. Many people love to get their upper lip waxed because the hair grows back slowly, lighter and softer. Bikini waxing and Brazilians are also very popular and of course the legs. My male clients like the back waxing, the nostril and ear waxing.
Hair grows at different speeds so all hairs are in one of three stages of growth at any given time. This is why it is suggested that you come in every 3 to 5 weeks for waxing. I am more likely to catch different hairs at the stage when it is optimal to be removed.
I will first consult with you to make sure we are on the same page. Then I will clean the area, dust it with a little powder or oil and prepare the wax. I will either use hard wax, which uses no linen strips and pull the strip off and with it the hair. The hair is being removed at the root so it will smart a little. This will get easier as you do it more frequently. The other method is for me to apply wax then the muslin strips on top of the wax and remove the strip removing the hair that way. both are equally effective. It is just easier to use some techniques in some areas.
Prior to your next appointment you need to let your hair grow to ¼ inch in length to insure the wax grips the hair. If the hair is longer than an inch it would probably be better to trim the hair to keep it from pulling as much when it is removed. If you don’t want to trim it I have a small clipper and will be glad to trim it for you.
You leave silky smooth and no longer have to shave the area. Just come back in within a few weeks and get waxed again.
There are a few things I recommend to ensure maximum comfort and benefit after the treatment, it is important to follow the steps below at home:
- Avoid applying heat to the waxed area for 12 to 24 hours. This includes hot baths, sauna, and steam.
- Use an anti-acne lotion for face, back and chest following the treatment and twice a day until breakouts are gone. Use only an anti-acne product recommended by your skin care professional.
- Avoid sun tanning for 12 to 24 hours. This includes any strong ultraviolet (UV) light exposure or tanning bed treatments.
- Avoid applying highly fragranced products to the waxed area. This includes, perfume, scented body lotions, anti-per spirants, cosmetics, or feminine hygiene sprays. Only use professional products, recommended to you by the skin care therapist who performed the waxing service
- Avoid using harsh abrasive or exfoliates in the waxed area. However, if you are prone to in-grown hairs, the day after your waxing treatment, exfoliate newly waxed area with a loofah to avoid future problems.
- Avoid applying high SPF sunblock’s to the waxed area for 12-24 hours after the waxing service. Sunscreen chemicals can be irritating to the newly waxed skin. This includes self-tanning products and tan accelerators.
- Any pinking of the skin should disappear within 6 to 8 hours after the waxing treatment. Slight pinking is normal, and indicates that the hair was removed from the root, rather than superficially broken off, as in shaving. This is the reason that professional waxing lasts so much longer.
For best results, repeat your professional waxing every 4 to 6 weeks depending on the area and your individual hair growth rate.
- Length of Appt.: It depends on the number of areas being waxed. It can be as little as 10 minutes for a lip wax, to much longer for a total body wax.
- Sessions Needed: It is an ongoing process. You may get waxed once for a special occasion or get into a routine maintenance schedule for that fresh smooth look.
- Check Up Appt.: None needed.
- Medical Clearance Needed: None needed.
- Results: Immediate. A clean smooth area where there used to be hair growth.
- Painful: Some areas are more painful than others. However, it varies from person to person and for women the closer it is to their period the more sensitive they may be. The more often you wax the less painful it becomes over time.
- Lasts: You should come in every 3 to 5 weeks. Not all the hair grows at the same time. Every time you come in you will be catching more hairs in different stages of the hair growth cycle. It will come in softer and lighter.
- Purpose: To remove hair and leave the skin smooth. The brows frame your face. They can be the difference between making a positive impression or giving your face an expression that you would rather avoid. We’ve all seen the surprised look.
- Indications: The desire for a smooth hair free polished look. Problematic Hair growth. Special Occasions, Swim Suit Season. Beautification of the eye area through brow shaping.
- Contraindications: Waxing has quite a few contraindications based on medications you may be taking. As well as infections or being prone to infections like some diabetics, as well as people with recent cuts, and those who bruise easily. Accutane, adapalene, alustra, avage, avita, differin, isotretinoin, renova, retina A, Tretinoin are a few examples of medications that need to be disclosed. It is imperative that you disclose the medications to your technician to make sure your waxing will be a plesant experience. Some medications can make your skin overly sensitive or thin the skin to the point that waxing could damage the area.
- Sunburn, oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, salicylic acid, chemical peels or microdermabrasion’s, must also be disclosed to insure your skin is not too sensitive to be waxed. Moles can not be waxed, it is better if you wait a week prior to your period, any closer and you may be more sensitive. Hot showers or exfoliating prior to your appointment can also make you more sensitive.
- There are also certain side effects which can include tenderness, skin removal, and swelling.