Progress MD offers Sclerotherapy treatments for anyone who is living with varicose or intense spider veins. This treatment is preformed by our physician and is a permanent, life-changing option to rid the body of these veins. Sclerotherapy involves an injection of a, typically, salt-solution directly into the vein. The solution irritates the lining of the blood vessel, causing it to collapse and stick together and the blood to clot. Depending on the amount, location and severity of the veins will decide how many veins will be injected during a set appointment time. The general medical condition of the patient will also play a part in the appointment.
Prior to receiving Sclerotherapy treatment patients should discuss any and all (over the counter or prescribed) medications, prior medical treatments and general medical history. This ensures that no preexisting condition will alter or disrupt the treatment. It is advised to avoid any anti-inflammatory drugs (such as aspirin or ibuprofen) 48-72 hours before your Sclerotherapy treatment. During the treatment itself, the physician will assess the areas to be treated and begin injecting the solution. The process is simple and should take anywhere from 15-30 minutes depending on the amount of veins needing to be treated during that session. As with any treatment there are side effects, such as itching, erythema (redness) and bruising. These side effects should subside after a few days or up to a couple of weeks for bruising. Once the treatment is complete the physician will advise you to wear compression hosiery for the following days and to once again avoid anti-inflammatory drugs for at least 48 hours. It is also advised to avoid hot baths, hot compresses, whirlpools or saunas, and direct exposure to sunlight. Sclerotherapy has been seen to eliminate as many as 50%-80% of injected veins with each session. Less than 10% of the people who try Sclerotherapy do not respond. Although the majority of patients do see results after treatment there are no guarantees for success.
- Length of Appt.: 15-30 min
- Sessions Needed: Varies by patient
- Check Up Appt.: N/A
- Medical Clearance Needed: Yes
- Results: Spider Veins respond 3-6 weeks post. Larger veins respond 3-4 months post.
- Painful: None-Mild discomfort (cramping)
- Recovery: None – wear compression hosiery
- Lasts: Permanent
- Purpose: Diminish the appearance of varicose and spider veins
- Indications: Varicose veins, spider veins
- Contraindications: Pregnant, breastfeeding, allergy to sclerosant, patient with DVT or PE, known R to L shunts, uncontrolled asthma, immobilized patient, peripheral vascular disease